Saturday, January 5, 2013

comfort things

I've been sick. What a dreadful way to start the new year. I didn't make a resolution to lose weight but that seems to be what my body is interested in doing anyway. We skipped Wednesday's recipe of the week because I could neither look at nor think about food. Everything was blegh. Then yesterday, I grew a small desire to eat and thought I wanted Mexican food for lunch. It turned out to be a bad idea and I had to nap that bad decision away. When I woke up, I told Zach pancakes sounded good so he made me some. Again, a bad idea. I'm obviously clueless about comfort food and can't trust my gut. What do you like to eat when you're not feeling well? I need ideas!

Here are the other things I rely on to help me feel better ...

a warm fuzzy blanket. In the winter time, nothing is quite as nice as a warm and fuzzy blanket.

chinese medicated oil:
a gorgeous shade of dark emerald green. smells like peppermint. i rub this "magic" oil all over my belly and it makes me feel better. i love this so much my late grandfather bought me a lifetime supply. no kidding. i love my grandfather.
hot tea:
this one is a mix of lemongrass, ginger, green tea, and dried orange peel. extra soothing.

Zach. In addition to staying home with me, he's also had to put up with all my grossness and pathetic whimpering. He deserves a medal for taking such good care of me. He helped me run errands, made me tea, fetched me things, and tucked me in. And last night, he went on a freezing walk around the neighborhood with me just because I wanted to get some fresh air. (Thank you!)

Cat. For always being entertaining, and for being a great napping partner.

My parents. I called them just to whine about being sick, and then demanded that they shower me with kind words. They obliged.

Pleasant things in the mail. We got a card from our Aunt Linda bearing the good news that she's through with her cancer treatments and given the "all clear" by her oncologist! My cousin Gillian sent us a tin of hot chocolate mix and an awesome handmade card! The humidifier we ordered arrived, so now we can all breathe a little easier (and not spark when we pet the cat)!

I do hope your new year has been a good one so far. I started mine lousy just so things can only get better from here on!

2 comments:

Nixon K said...

Chicken Congee -- if you like Asian comfort food. Or 7-up with Saltines to settle the stomach if you don't want to make congee.

Unknown said...

hi Nixon,

i'll spare you the gritty details, but let's just say i'm not eating porridge for a while. otherwise, that (or chicken macaroni soup) would be my usual pick too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...