Thursday, January 9, 2014

we waited long enough ...

Well, we waited long enough ...


The 2014 Sketchbook Projects are due next week, and we are now working our butts off to get them done! This afternoon, we sat down and worked on our books while watching a documentary on the awesomely crude Charles Bukowski (Zach's favorite author!). Zach used to read me Bukowski poems over the phone when we were dating. Most of them are funny, some are sad, all of them are real, and the genius of it all is the way Buk observed the world around him. Read him! You won't regret it!


Back to the sketchbooks ... I don't draw or sketch, which actually makes it a little pointless to do this. But I had fun making my book last year so I thought I'd want to do it again. My initial plan was to use pressed flowers that I saved from our garden. But the more I thought about it, the more I was convinced the delicate nature of the flowers would not hold up to the wear and tear that these sketchbooks go through. So, since I am pressed for time and out of ideas, I copped out and decided to just make a coloring book instead. I'm printing all of Zach's kitty cat linoblocks, and then coloring them in. Easy peasy.


Zach is, of course, going a little more adventurous and creative with his sketchbook. This is the third book he is working on, and in the spirit of keeping to the same theme (as his previous books: 2013/ 2012), he will be animating his finished project. He tried to explain it to me but it all sounds a little abstract right now. I know it will make sense when he gets done.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...