Sunday, September 29, 2013

Recipe of the Week: Wok-braised Pork Belly


This last recipe of the month-long Asian food series, is courtesy of my mom! My mom is a great cook. I remember following her to cooking lessons as a kid. She was an avid baker back in the day and our house always smelled of all sorts of local "kuehs" (cakes). Since I am currently in Singapore, I was able to bug and beg her for a recipe that could be easily replicated in the US. I wanted something with ingredients that can be easily found, and a dish with a rich flavor that would appeal to many of our blog readers. So even though I do not eat pork, here's an awesome Singaporean recipe for braised pork belly!

Ingredients
1lb pork belly
3 tbsp chopped garlic
3 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp dark soy sauce
2 tbsp oyster sauce
2.5 tbsp sugar
1 cup water

Directions
Make a marinade by combining garlic, light and dark soy sauce, oyster sauce, and sugar.
Marinate pork belly for at least an hour (overnight is best).


In a good size wok, bring 1 cup of water to a boil and then add in pork belly.
Cook at medium heat for 10 minutes, and then turn. Keep turning meat every 10 minutes until the water runs dry and turns into a thick gravy. The meat should be slightly golden brown at this time.
Remove, cut into slices.
Serve hot over rice.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...