Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Small Spaces: 5 Questions with Temre Stanchfield


Temre Stanchfield's first piece for Small Spaces was this shadow of a tree painting on the side of the Haywood Printing building. When we shared it on Facebook, it was wildly popular and very well-received. Everyone who has seen it makes an effort to tell us how much they like this piece. Perhaps it's because this painting is quiet and blends so well into the environment. It doesn't yell for your attention the way more colorful pieces do. Either way, it's become a local favorite. If you'll like to see more of Temre's work, pop into Artists' Own or follow her online here. She also has a webpage which you'll find below.

temre stanchfield

For the project, Temre also painted this piece on the side of Bernadette's Barbershop,

small spaces lafayette

as well as this piece, which was a collaboration with her two kids, on the alley by T-Bird Engineering.

temre stanchfield

We handed her a list of 5 Questions, and here are her answers!

What is your background in art?
I have been creating things all of my life.  I finally realized that I could choose this as a job when I was in my early 20’s.  I did complete my BA in fine arts and later my MFA at University of Arizona in Tucson.

Where do you get your inspiration and style?
I am inspired by the earth and the seasons and nature’s monumental presence in our lives every day.  I grew up in a very small village in Alaska and there was something about that monumental view of nature that is a part of me wherever I go.

What does being involved with Small Spaces mean to you?
It’s been a privilege to be a part of Small Spaces.  I’m glad that Small Spaces is introducing public art to the community in this new, fresh, sometimes controversial way.  I typically paint on canvas– so to explore this medium on public walls and spaces has been really refreshing.  Making art on the buildings in the street is exhilarating in how the artwork connects to community in such an immediate and direct way.  I was able to do a collaborative piece with my kids as well and that was such a treat.  I love what children create and it is wonderful when I can integrate that into my own work.

What are 5 words to describe the role an artist plays in society?
Thinker, innovator, visionary, muse, craftsperson.

Where (online or otherwise) can we view more of your work?
www.temrestanchfield.com


p.s. If you enjoy our "Small Spaces: 5 Questions" series, don't miss our interviews with Aaron Bumgarner, Lisa Wicka, Pete Brown, Christopher Robinette, Craig Tribble, Bethany Hohman, Carrie Wing, Joanne Titolo, and Aaron Molden!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...