Saturday, March 1, 2014

Amiri Baraka Read-In

One of the best things about living on a college campus, is all the cultural activities that are constantly taking place in the area. Zach and I are trying to attend more events. We tried going to a Yo-yo Ma concert last fall, but the mother nature had different plans. So I decided to try again. Last night, I treated myself to a poetry read-in at the Black Cultural Center.


The session was in honor of the great Amiri Baraka, who passed away earlier in January. Baraka was a revolutionary and an innovative poet/novelist who spent his life fighting for the rights of African Americans. In the 1960s-70s, Baraka fronted the Black Arts Movement that promoted the idea of a militant artistic movement. His works are always controversial. My favorite poem of the night, read by my friend, Jolivette Anderson, was Somebody Blew Up America, written in response to 9/11.

Here is Baraka reading Somebody Blew Up America:


If you'd like to learn more about Baraka, this is a great website to start with.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...