Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Recipe of the Week: Avocado Egg Salad


There are so many recipes online for an avocado egg salad. Everyone loves them for the creamy texture and the good nutrient-dense, healthy and fatty avocado. So what's special about the one I'm sharing? Actually, nothing. I just happen to know a few people (who read our blog) who love egg salad and thought this might be a fun recipe to share with them.

All recipes have in common the four eggs: one medium avocado ratio. Stick to this, and whatever else you choose to add is up to you. Some recipes call for mayonnaise and red wine vinegar, others add curry and chives, or sour cream. I personally like mine dressed up with plain Greek yogurt, lemon juice, and a hint of dijon mustard. And instead of chives, I use either dill or tarragon.

Here's the thing about preparing the eggs ... there are a lot of people who claim to know the perfect way cook a hard boiled egg. I personally don't give two hoots about the awful sulphuric smell or the green-grey ring around my yolks. I only care that they are easy to peel, so I add about a teaspoon of baking soda to the pot when I'm cooking my eggs. If you want to learn the secrets to boiling the perfect egg, follow the instructions herehere, or here!

One other alteration I did was to toss out one egg yolk. It's my personal preference. So really my avocado egg salad has the 4 egg whites: 3 egg yolks: 1 avocado ratio. Otherwise, here's the way I made my version of the healthy and deliciously simple avocado egg salad:

Ingredients
4 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1 medium Haas avocado
2 tbsp plain Greek yogurt
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp Dijon mustard
salt and pepper, to taste
a pinch of tarragon (dill, or chives will work too)

Directions
In a large bowl, mash together avocado, yogurt, lemon juice, and Dijon mustard.
Add eggs, salt and pepper; mix well.
Top with tarragon.
Serve on a bed of salad greens, or in a sandwich or wrap.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...