Tuesday, July 14, 2015

My Birthday Weekend!

For my birthday this year, Zach and I spent the weekend in NYC. It was a last minute plan, partly for work, but mostly for fun. We hopped on a plane Friday evening only to arrive in the city way past midnight. By the time we finished dinner, it was almost 3am. That's late for us elderly folk!


We've not spent much time in NYC in the summer, so to be there in 90F weather gave us a whole new experience of the place. On Saturday morning, we found our way to the recently reopened Whitney Museum (now located in the Meatpacking District). The place was absolutely packed with everyone eager to see the Whitney's greatest hits.



We could have spent the whole day there, but I had an afternoon appointment with gallery owner, Bill Hodges, to keep. So we cooled down with popsicles, and made it over to Chelsea.


My meeting with Bill Hodges went extremely well. Bill has been in the art business for over 30 years and he owns a large number of Norman Lewis paintings that Zach and I had the privilege of getting up close and personal with. I am currently working on an essay for Bill's Norman Lewis catalogue, so it was such a treat to get to see his collection. Some of these paintings have not been seen by the public in decades!




We continued our art adventure on Sunday by going to the Brooklyn Museum. Zach has been dying to see the current Faile/ Bast exhibit, and I am so glad we went. The show is amazing and had a little bit of everything ...

Interactive games at the arcade!





Plenty of neon glow!





The Faile Temple!






And the large paintings!





We went back to the arcade to play more games after going through the entire show! For the rest of Sunday, we walked around the Lower East Side to look at street art, and then popped into the New Museum to catch their new show (our tip: boring, don't bother wasting your time and money!).

Just before jumping on our flight back home on Monday, we stopped in Noodle Bar and Grom for a quick lunch and dessert. Those two rank high on my list of best places to eat in the city. Yums.



So there we have it: a quick stopover in one of my favorite cities with my favoritest person. I declare this to be the best birthday weekend ever.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...