Saturday, June 6, 2015

the long and winding road ...

It was a long and winding road that led me back to the blog.


After the cat got sick and died, I couldn't bring myself to write in this space anymore. I had very much wanted to write a post about the last fifteen years I spent with my best friend, but none of my attempts felt fitting of my memories. So I decided that the best thing I could do, is grieve and reminisce in silence.

Our lives are different because we no longer have a cat. The reality of losing him is as dramatic as it sounds. After our last visit to the vet, Zach and I came home, sat at the dining table, and stared at each other. For the first time in our marriage, we were totally alone. It was then that we realized so many of our activities and so much of our conversations were about the cat. We started our day with him, and ended our nights with him. We are definitely feeling his absence. Two weeks ago, I started spotting birds and a spunky chipmunk in the garden. It felt like they knew he was gone too ...


I love our cat and I miss him to pieces. But I think I might be ready to write again.


p.s. Thank you to everybody who sent sweet and thoughtful condolences (on the blog and on Facebook). Everyone of them touched my heart.

2 comments:

Matt F said...

My family have lost them and it's hard. They're only with us for a little while no matter how much you wish them to stay. I'm glad you had so much time with your friend and that you were there at the end to see him off. I think really that's all anyone could ask for...whether it's a cat or a person.
Congratulations on obtaining your doctorate. I wish you all the best.
You and Zach take care.
Sincerely,
Matt

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for your kind words, Matt.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...